During the 1880’s, E.L. Brown built the National Inn on Railroad Street next to the Altamont Depot. (It was located on West Adams Street.) The Inn housed many oil workers during the oil boom and travelers from the nearby train station. After the Browns moved to California, the hotel was remodeled and ran as the Altamont Hotel until the building was demolished in 1963. Government housing currently occupies the site.