Construction on the church began in 1874 after St. Bonaventure, a rural Catholic Church, burned down on Christmas 1873. The original church design was simple (it lacked a steeple until 1893.)
In 1882, a parish school was built north of the church. Classes were taught by nuns until 1889, when the school was remodeled to become the priest’s residence.
In 1921, construction began on the beautiful, gothic church that is still in use today.